Pages

Friday 2 May 2014

Zimbabwe In Design at the National Gallery of Zimbabwe (NGZ).

I will be bluntly honest that my first preference was to attend HIFAshion’s Vintage Wedding at 11am and hope over to check out Zimbabwe In Design an the National Gallery at 12pm. I had already planned my whole day way in advance, attend two shows and hop off to varsity for my afternoon lecture scheduled for 2pm (all this planned for 30 April 2014 by the way). But truth be told my savings were not looking up, because I had just got my hair done, did not get that HIFA media accreditation I applied for (apparently I’m not a registered journalist), and of course I had already received my invite from the National Gallery of Zimbabwe with detail on what the Zimbabwe In Design initiative was all about. So that Wednesday was a “I’m gonna let it swing” kinda day; and with that “swing” I attended the best and my first art exhibition.

Opening remarks where by Doreen Sibanda (with the exhibition co-curated by Doreen herself and Tandazani Dhlakama), which proceeded at exactly 12pm to a room almost full with eager guests (which was beautiful because my assumption was that everyone would be attending to HIFA right outside, so it was lovely to see a good turnout, with an appearance by Tsitsi and Daniel Mutendi of JEWEL magazine, where Tsitsi was adorned in Mucha Couture from head to toe).

Exhibitors in question covered the array of the creative arts department, where music, fashion, sculpture, architecture and furniture all combined under one roof, all Proudly Zimbabwean pieces (which were also up for purchase). Guests were treated to light snacks and bubbly by revolving waiters, and well Frank Mandangu finally showed his face (the Media and Publicity gentleman from NGZ). Of course being a fashion blogger, my first entrance was the Fashion department which comprised of De Moyo (I must say I was finally glad to meet the woman behind this talked about label), Mucha Couture, Rungano Rwedu, Vongai Designs and Urban Wide streetwear (which recently launched in 2013). Home furniture was graced by Home Grown Handcrafted, which displayed exquisite designs in leather, ostrich leather and goat skin samples.

I appreciated how design wasn’t just left to Fashion; which is what I’m usually used to; the application of architecture and creativity to clothing. This time around I saw a whole new era of design, which encompasses pieces of wood, glass, fabric, teabags, leather and digital printing. The arena of design encompasses a whole different spectrum of the mind, something that we all need to appreciate and one that requires our attention. Furthermore, I do believe the #ZimbabweInDesign Expo is a great initiative to kick-start our textile industry because the labour is more than readily available, and young Zimbabweans are bursting with innate talent that requires a good motivation and capital to give them a head-start! Zimbabwe In Design Expo is absolutely FREE which means it’s free for you to walk in and appreciate Zimbabwean design straight from the heart of our design gurus! The Expo runs from 30 April to end of May 2014.

Yours in Glamour (and Blogging Design),
Tendai Sophia

Follow me on Instagram @tendaitoscie, where you will find some of these photos and more! And stop by the IFB site for their IFB Weekly Round UP for Thursday 1 May 2014, yours truly made the cut with HIFA2014 Festival Fashion Inspiration.



Part of the crowd that attended the opening remarks.

 DeMoyo by Paidemoyo Chideya



This jacket was made for me. My favourite piece on Display.
Beautiful blue cocktail dress. Can also be worn to a formal function, wedding or a fab dinner party.
Perfect for a vintage wedding inspiration, with the crotchet and underlay.



The designer in question, Paidemoyo Chideya looking fab in rolled up cigarette pants, a striped top, chic black blazer and snakeskin heels. Love the turban.

Mbira Centre






 Mucha Couture




 Urban Wide Street Wear




Rungano Rwedu

Rungano Rwedu is not new to Signature Toscie. They can also be found on my Instagram account and previous blogposts.



I was Assistant Stylist for this shoot whilst under Zim Fashionista and Shamiso Ruzvidzo with Catherine Ruze models.


Modelling Rungano Rwedu

 Home Grown HandCrafted




Art Pieces on Display







Avant Garde Fashion

I'm always intrigued by Fashion but with a twist. Avant Garde fashion always has a story behind it, hence unorthodox materials are used.


Tana Africa crocodile handbags and gameskin accessories.


The one thing that every woman need; the Little Black Dress.
And of course what's a LBD without detail.



Depicting the currency inflation period into a work of art?..

The Ndau Collection

Pieces by The Ndau Collection.


Crocodile skin belt by The Ndau Collection.


Digital Printing simply titled "Bob"






My Ensemble on the Day (also on Instagram)

No comments:

Post a Comment